How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022
water lily, (family Nymphaeaceae), family of 58 species in 3 genera of freshwater flowering plants (order Nymphaeales), native to the temperate and tropical parts of the world. Water lilies provide food for fish and wildlife but sometimes cause drainage problems because of their rapid growth.
The water lily is an aquatic plant belonging to the Nymphaeaceae family, which has its origin in the lakes of Africa and some countries of Asia. Its shades and shapes are very diverse and striking.
Popularly known as the water lily, this beautiful plant has a remarkable characteristic: it has two types of leaves. Some are underwater, and the second float on the surface. Its roots can reach 4.5 meters, so it is feasible for this plant to develop in waters of considerable depth.
Its large, sheet-like leaves protect fish and help control excessive algae growth. Its scientific name is Nymphaea, although many often refer to it as Nymphaea.
- 30 Pcs Bonsai Bowl Lotus Seeds, Water Lily Flower...
- Planting suggestions: Step 1: germination in a...
- USA - Made in USA. It makes excellent gifts for...
- 75-85% germination rate. If the package is...
- RISK FREE 120-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - I am sure...
- [Packaged Included] 4pcs lotus flowers and 6pcs...
- [Durable Foam Material] Made of soft but durable...
- [Realistic Looking] These water lilies are...
- [Easy to Use] You could just let them float freely...
- [Great Decoration] Our floating foam lotus flowers...
- 20+ Bowl Lotus Seeds (Water Lily Flower Seeds) for...
- Planting tips: Water with a watering can or garden...
- Guaranteed: We’re always here with professional...
- There are many other fresh seeds available in our...
- -Sowing Rate: 2 - 4 seeds per plant.
- -100% Money Back Guaranteed : "No question asked",...
- Brand Name ：NOTSWOH
- Plant and Grow - All lilies are pre-grown, just...
- Helps create a natural bio-filter - Aquatic plants...
- You will receive 1 Lily Rhizome (Tuber) with this...
- Your perennial hardy water lily is meant to last...
- Our water plants are grown using the latest...
- Great Decoration - Our Floating Foam Lotus Flowers...
- Great Daily Use - Our Floating Foam Lotus Flowers...
- Best Material - Our Artificial Lotus Flowers are...
- Fine Workmanship - The color of our Fake Lotus...
- Durable - Our Lifelike Lotus Flowers is high grade...
- EXOTIC AQUATIC PLANT: Stunning Flowers and Lily...
- EASY TO GROW: 95% Germination rate, can start them...
- Ideal for beginners, masters, and children alike....
- [ PLANTING SUGGESTION ] Step 1: germination in a...
- Lotus seeds can be grown as Amazon residential...
- 4 Pre-grown hardy water lilies awarded by IWGS....
- Enhance plant color and health with fertilizer...
- 100% Live Arrival Guaranteed. You will receive all...
- Aquatic plants will produce oxygen and absorb...
- This package include Nymphaea Mangkala Ubol...
- Item type: open-mouthed lotus seeds. 10Pcs / Pack.
- GMO-free, Chemical-free, USA-grown seeds.
- Planting Methods: 1. Pond cultivation: Put the...
- Keep updating the freshest seeds and regularly...
- Scroll down for some planting tips.
- LIVE Water Lilies : Nymphaea King Blue 1 Tuber,...
- 3 DAYS LIVE GUARANTEED : In a very rare case our...
- Main Photo is the actual tuber of our stock.
- Safe for your aquarium pets. Creating natural...
- Water Lilies will provide important benefits to...
The water lily generally blooms in the summer (between May and September), and the most common is that it lasts between four and five days. A curiosity is that it emits a fragrance very similar to that of brandy during the first day.
Being so exotic, it is not surprising that hundreds of people use water lily flowers to decorate their pools and ponds.
Some give them as gifts to express the purity of their feelings.
The Egyptians considered the water lilies sacred symbols because the flower has the peculiarity of opening during the day to receive the sun and closing at night. For that reason, they believed that it was a cult of this star.
GROWING THE WATER LILY PLANT – How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022
The water lily can occur in lakes, ponds, streams, or slow-flowing swamps. There are just over 1,700 varieties of this plant, pleasing for their colors and exquisite aroma.
Those who wish to cultivate it should choose areas with calm waters that receive enough sunlight to form correctly.
The depth necessary for planting the different water lily types should range between 20 centimeters and 1 meter.
The warm waters are ideal for the water lily, but they can see in different climates. Perennial water lilies are best for temperate climates, which usually bloom in the fall. Those with a tropical environment lose their leaves in winter.
The selected pots should be about 12 inches in diameter, with holes so that they can absorb the water. The soil must be previously enriched with low-nitrogen fertilizers and then carefully placed in the roots.
When placing the container in the water, you must ensure that the soil does not enter the pond, as it must be kept clean. Subsequently, the pot should be covered with 2.5 cm. of river stones, always leaving space for the sprout.
It is suggested to change the substrate occasionally, as its extensive need for nutrients demands it. In addition, it is essential to remove the leaves that are spoiling in winter.
CARE TO SHOW OFF A BEAUTIFUL PLANT
The first recommendation is to keep the water lily away from water contaminated with decomposing organic matter. Therefore, dead leaves and other debris that cause a terrible smell must be constantly checked and removed from the plant.
The roots’ health must be monitor since the complete formation of the bush depends on them, and they are usually very delicate.
Extreme care must also taken with pests that attack the water lily. Aphids, beetles, and a wide variety of fungi can kill the plant.
MORE OF THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE WATER LILY
The water lilies are formed at the expense of the rhizome, a fleshy stem that lives among the accumulated materials at the bottom of the waters.
The leaves have a circular shape and a good size, with a deep notch that extends to the insertion of the petiole with the plant part (blade).
Like the flowers, the leaves are floating and occur directly from the rhizome, to which long petioles attach them.
The flowers are usually quite large and are covered with petals. In the center are the pistils and stamens. They can be ivory, pure white, red, cream, pink, copper, crimson or yellow.
In water lilies, the seed is used to propagate natural species and form new varieties. The seeds mature underwater and are subsequently released from the plant and rise to the surface, where they float for some time until they swell to germinate at the bottom.
A PLANT WITH MULTIPLE BENEFITS
These plants can offer benefits to humans. In gynecology, it can prepare infusions to wash against diseases such as gonorrhea, uterine cancer, and leucorrhea.
The root or rhizome can be used to make mouthwashes and be applied in infections of the pharynx or abscesses.
Likewise, it plays an excellent healing role in inflamed or burned skin and ulcers. The water lily also works as an astringent. The decoction of the root is used for cases of diarrhea.
Known for its flowers’ vitality and color, the water lily are an aquatic plant of incredible beauty and multiple medicinal and cosmetic uses. We will tell you everything!
Table of Contents – How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022
- 1 Characteristic of the Water Lily
- 2 Water lily habitat and distribution
- 3 Cultural significance of the Water Lily
- 3.1 Egypt
- 3.2 China
- 4 Uses of Water Lily
Water lily characteristics
The water lily, also known as the water lily, white nymph, love rose, Venus rose, lotus flower, or water lily, is an aquatic plant of the Nymphaea family, the Angiosperm group, and the order of the Nynphaeales.
One of the main characteristics of the water lily is that this exotic plant has two different types of leaves: some that float on the surface of the water and the second that is found underwater.
They are evergreen plants, alternate and simple, with long petioles. Its flowers are large, and can be axillary or not, with long peduncles, and can produce up to 70 petals, each one.
They have thick and firm roots, with a high starch content, which grow up to 4 or 5 meters, making it easier for them to grow in deep waters, although they prefer shallower water environments and slow currents.
Water lily: Characteristics, uses, meaning, distribution
The water lily can grow, reproduce, and thrive in ponds, lakes, rivers, ponds, streams, or swamps, making it one of the most versatile aquatic plants out there.
The flowers of the tropical water lily typically bloom in the summer months and, in general, have a concise life (about four to five days) and emit a fragrance slightly similar to brandy.
The flowers can appear in various colors, such as white, yellow, pink, fuchsia, red, multiple shades of violets, blues, and even in some species, they can change color.
Water lily habitat and distribution
The water lily is originally native to Africa and Asia. It can be found in Egypt, China, India, Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, southwest Asia, and some countries in Europe.
Although they grow best in warm to warm waters, they can be found in all types of climates and temperatures, and depending on the species; they are divided into two well-defined types:
- Those that reproduce in temperate climates, also called perennial water lilies, are planted in depths of more than half a meter approximately. Their flowering begins during the first months of autumn. They are resistant to frost.
- Those that thrive in tropical climates bloom during the summer months and lose their leaves during the winter season. They need to be planted shallower than perennials. They are not able to resist frost.
Cultural significance of the Water Lily
Throughout the history of humanity, Flowers have always awakened the imagination and admiration of man. The water lily, according to different cultures, acquires other meanings.
If you want to know another water flower, you cannot miss the article on water lettuce, an incredible plant with multiple properties, enter the link, and you will find all the information.
Egypt – How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022
In ancient Egypt, this civilization, the most powerful and organized of its time, gave particular importance and meaning to the water lily plant since it was associated with the idea of eternity.
The Egyptians were fascinated by the blooming cycles of water lilies, which were commonly associated with solar cycles, since it was the only species that flourished throughout the year, opening in the morning, in sunlight, and closing at dusk. To dive into the water.
For the Egyptians, who worshiped the sun god Ra, the water lily, with its golden button in the middle of the flower, represented their god in the middle of the sky. Today, for Egyptians, giving water lilies is a symbol of loyalty between couples.
China – How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022
For the Chinese, the water lily, called the lotus flower, is associated with noble virtues such as purity, uprightness of character, and honesty. It also means harmony, collaboration, and union between people. In some provinces of China, it is traditional for the groom to present lotus flower roots to the bride’s family to symbolize the harmonious and happy life he offers to his partner.
In other countries, such as Thailand, it represents peace and good luck. In Japan, it means to sacrifice and is associated with life after death, so it is not considered suitable to give it to living people.
According to its colors, the blue water lily represents calm, wisdom, and eternity: the white, purity, innocence, and the joy of true love. Red symbolizes courage, perseverance, and passion.
For Buddhism, the lotus flower represents a state of wisdom and consciousness, and in India, it is considered its national flower.
Legend has it that when the boy Buddha took his first steps, lotus flowers sprouted in all the places he passed.
For Taoists, it symbolizes the purity of its practitioners, and the lotus flower crown, the highest symbol within this religion, can only be used by Taoists of the highest level of spirituality.
Water lily uses – How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022
In natural medicine, the water lily is given different properties, among which we can mention:
- It is considered beneficial in the treatment of venereal diseases.
- It is used in infusion, for mouthwashes, to treat inflammations in the throat.
- It is used for burns, skin infections, applied using poultices.
- It is an excellent natural sedative.
- It has benefits to treat digestive disorders, diarrhea, and dysentery.
- Useful in treatments for circulatory and heart conditions.
In cosmetics, it has various uses in perfumes, creams, and bath salts, due to its exotic fragrance and sweet, fruity, and floral notes.
In gastronomy, its root can be used to prepare soups and stews due to its high starch content. It can also be eaten sautéed with other vegetables.
In China, there is a ceremonial cake for the moon festival, called moon cake, made from flour dough, filled with lotus seeds.
If you want to know more about the types of water lily and the care of its plants, be sure to watch this exciting video.
What is special about water lily?
Water Lilies are so special is because of how and where they grow. … For example, they become a filter and end up purifying the water where they float. This will also help other aquatic plants that live nearby Water Lilies and will also help the fish that can be found in the ponds.
Are lotus and water lily the same?
Both are pond blooming plants that emerge from rhizomes and share a rich color palette, but there are some easy ways to tell them apart: Water lily flowers and leaves are thick and waxy while the lotus’ are thin and papery. … The lotus prefers to grow in 12 inches of water and water lilies in 2 to 5 feet.
Is a water lily edible?
Parts of the White Water Lily are edible to humans. The young, unfurling leaves may be eaten raw or cooked. The raw leaves should be washed, chopped, and added to soups or stews. The rhizomes’ tubers may be boiled, roasted, or prepared like potatoes.
What is the food of water lily?
Photosynthesis. Similar to most aquatic plants, water lilies need lots of sunlight for photosynthesis. The plant uses the sunlight, water and carbon dioxide to create carbohydrates with the help of chlorophyll in the lily pads.
Related searches How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022
- Image of Water lily anatomy
- Water lily anatomy
- water lily flower
- water lily for sale
- water lily scientific name
- water lily characteristics
- lotus vs water lily
- water lily meaning
- water lily uses
How To Grow A water lily Description, Flower, Characteristics, & Facts 2022